My Studio

It is time.  What I have been waiting for for months has finally come!  My studio is now finished, and I can begin to work again.  It has been a long and sometimes frustrating  journey, but I have learned a lot about patience, and other things as well.  I have had time to re-evaluate goals, spend more time with my family, and do some pretty amazing things since my last post on the blog.  I will share more about those things in an upcoming post, but now…NOW it is time to celebrate!  Let’s get to it!!

1Copy

Here is the view of my studio looking in from the guest room. Now, some of you who aren’t on facebook may be confused.  This room that is now my studio was supposed to be the guest room when all was said and done, but after much consideration and a thorough poll on facebook, I decided to claim the large room for my studio.  Knowing that a beautiful room with A-frame features and built-ins would only be used a handful of times throughout the year really bothered me.  So after much consideration, and a tiny bit of guilt, I chose to reverse the plans.  It was the best decision I have ever made.

2Copy

It was important to me in the planning process after I decided to switch rooms to have enough room that many family members and friends could come together and create beautiful things together.  I wanted a big enough workspace to spread out and have room for overflow if needed.   The room itself minus the dormer is approximately 12X12.  Add the dormers and each dormer is approximately a 3×3 cube.   After debating many ways of tackling the main work table, I came to needing to answer this question.    Question: Do I go with a counter-height work space with stools?  My answer: This would be nice, but this also brings two things to mind.  If it is counter-height, I will have drawers and/or cabinetry which will cut down on the amount of seating available.  Probably by half.  Stools? Even though stool look SO pretty, they can be a real pain in the neck when you have to climb up and down off of them while working.  This being an attic space, I have eaves and this, too can get tricky with stools, again cutting into the seating area.

My Solution: I decided to buy a long table.  It was important to find the right size.  Not too narrow in width, but not too wide so I would be sitting too close under the eaves.  The length gets tricky too.  You want to walk around the table freely enough without smacking your head into the ceiling.  I purchased the LYCKHEM TABLE from Ikea.  This table comes with a leaf, which I have kept in the table.  It can get smaller, but this works perfectly!  For the chairs, I opted to go with the more traditional looking INGOLF CHAIRS.  6 of them rounded out my studio perfectly.

4Copy

5Copy

A really special feature of my studio are these built-in bookshelves.  We had a heating duct that ran across the whole floor, in the back of the room.  Our HVAC unit is in what is now the closet in the hallway between the studio and the guest room up here in the attic.  We had to cover the duct across the back wall under the window, and this was a perfect solution.  It covered the duct and let us have built-ins.  A nice wainscotting background brings the more traditional element to the room and matches the rest of our house, as well as our office on the first floor which also has built-ins.  The magazine holders on the right contain the magazines in which my work has been published.  The magazine holders on the left contain cardstock which is unopened.  The magazine files are from the KASSETT collection from Ikea.

6Copy

The paint color on the walls is something I have had the most questions about.  It is from the Martha Stewart Collection at Lowes through Valspar called “Vintage Map”.  HERE is a swatch of that color.  You will NOT find this color through the MS collection at Home Depot.   It was important that I get something that worked well with white, black (my fixtures) and left an overall light and airy feel to the room.  I have very rich fall colors throughout the rest of my home which are lovely, but this room called for something a little bit different.

7Copy

Here is my sewing station.  I have two of these tables in each dormer.  Not an ounce of space was wasted, and I still have room for more storage if I need it.  These tables were perfect, measuring 29.5in x 29.5in.  These tables were from the MELLTORP collection at Ikea.  I have not ONE piece of Ikea furniture in my house in any other room, but I have to say, I am impressed.  The main table and chairs are made out of real wood, and the small metal/melamine tables in the dormers are strong!

8Copy

Here is a shot of the other dormer.  This is sort of meant to be John’s little space so he can work on putting his postage stamps in his albums.  This will also double as a picture taking spot for my blog photos.

9Copy

These are two bookshelves from Wal-Mart.  This bookshelf holds my stamps, punches and alterables.  It also holds my re-inkers.  I got more space for my punches by using a spring-loaded curtain rod to hang them.  I also have CD cases lining the top of the shelves.  I have each box assigned (with some still free).  Scissors, adhesives, dimensionals, embellies, jewelry-making, and kids are some of the categories.  These will also hold clear stamps stored in CD cases, and of course fit perfectly.

10Copy

The CD boxes are also from the KASSETT collection.  I purchased 16 of them, and have many that are still unlabled.  I used Aqua Mist cardstock which match my walls to a T to use in the label inserts instead of the white ones Ikea provided.  A simple detail that goes a long way in tying the room together.

11Copy

These are two closet drawer units from the Home Depot by Closet Maid.  These counter-height drawers came separately, but we added a top and screwed the top onto the drawer tops as well as screwing the two drawer units together.  The bottom drawers hold my cardstock in hanging files.  the drawers and the contents are as follows:

All of my dies and cuttlebug plates.   All rotary cutters, pins and sewing supplies.  Felt, and lots of it.  Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils and other coloring items.  (John will be building me a copic marker holder.  More of that to come in a later post).  My cutting mat, scor-pal and tonic cutter sit on top of this unit.

20Copy

The floors are special.  I wanted something that looked expensive and had wide planks. This is a Dupont Real-Touch Elite laminate flooring (pine) with a 50 year warranty.  I purchased it at Home Depot, and it is good stuff, people!  I wasn’t about to spend a million dollars to get this look in an attic space, and this is exactly what I wanted.  Stunning.

12Copy

This chandelier is another Home Depot find!  Inexpensive, but itadds the perfect touch for a room like this!  I was even considering dry-brushing the flowers the same blue as the wall color.  Don’t be scared!  these are always options!

13Copy

14Copy

A nice view of the spring-loaded curtain rod to enable more space for the punches.

15Copy

Stamps!

16Copy

17Copy

These gallon candy jars were bought online and were made by Anchor Hocking.  I bought them HERE online, but have seen them since at Target and Christmas Tree Shops.  The fishbowls for the buttons are also Anchor Hocking and I purchased them for a dollar a piece at Christmas Tree Shops.  I love the large top on the so I can get my hand in the nicely to sort through and find the buttons I want.  My shelves are organized in a rainbow color, always making it easy to find where to put things back.

18Copy

The view looking into the hallway.  The closet is on the right and the half bath is on the left.  the door straigh ahead leads to the guest room which was my old studio.  This room has the same color scheme, so it nicely flows.  I will show pics later when it is finished.

Thank you so much for taking a tour of my new space.  It is good to be back.  I feel refreshed and renewed.  I can’t wait to catch you all up on what I have been doing.  Thanks for visiting and for missing me as much as I have missed you.  {{{HUGS}}}

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to My Studio

1. Donna says:

Totally gorgeous. I love how you used every single inch of space in the most efficient way!

2. Jennifer M says:

Whoo-hoo! You’re back! Becky, this room is absolutely to die for – I’ve always wanted an attic room to call my own..it is perfect and I just love the wall of storage – poetry in motion. On the chandelier – I say go for it! I just may borrow that idea for mine! hah I am glad that your time away was spent with those VIP in your life – family, and that you are refreshed and relaxed – can’t wait to see what you will be sharing in the months to come as time allows. Thank you for sharing your wonderful room with us!

3. Lee Cockrum says:

What a great room! I need to work on mine. I know I am so lucky to have a room, but my organization skills are sorely lacking:) I need to just plow through stuff, and get rid of what I do not want/need and group the rest into categories. I have had two offers from friends to help me organize, so I need to take them up on it. I love your calm, serene look, but I have many eclectic baskets and such that I do not want to got to waste, so I think I need to go in a more funky, artsy direction.

4. Jan says:

Gorgeous!

5. Manda says:

Just had to comment – this is a beautiful space and I hope you will always be creative in it!

6. Jenn Copeland says:

love, Love, LOVE this room!! So glad you are back! You have been missed!!

7. Juanita in Ohio says:

GASP, GASP, GASP, your room should be on the cover of a magazine!! It is beautiful. Welcome back. TFS and God bless.

8. Becky, your new room is to die for – FABULOUS color and love the clean design — that chandelier is the crowning touch! I’m so happy for you!

9. Alessandra Loiacono says:

Beautiful studio, so, so pretty and inspiring!!! I loved it!! Fabulously done! :)

10. Barb W says:

I don’t have words to describe your special space. I want to move in and live right in that room!! It is fabulous!

11. Shirlann says:

Becky…your studio is so beautiful!!! Can I come over and play?! Tee hee! I adore the colour, the wood floor and that chandelier is perfect! Welcome back, I’ve missed you!!! Can’t wait to see all your wonderful creations!

12. Julie Masse says:

Love love love this!! I finally got around to visiting and seeing the write up! :) Hope you are enjoying your beautiful surroundings! :)

13. Kacey Elliott says:

WOW! Your room looks absolutely beautiful and so inviting! It was well-worth the wait I am sure! I have a new house, in which I am sharing the large bonus room with the kids playroom, and have been trying to figure out some organizational ideas. Your descriptions and links were so helpful! Thanks and enjoy your new room :)

14. Katie Renz says:

I just got a chance to look at your studio and its beautiful!

15. Kathy L says:

SOOOOOOOO beautiful – really, really, really.

I’m happy to see you back and happy that you’re creating.

Also – I’ve found those Anchor HOcking pieces (my ribbon is stored the same way!) at Wal-Mart. You could save on shipping.

16. BeverlyBL says:

Your room is beautiful. Love it all. Thank you so much for sharing it. Wish mine was that organized but you have given me some ideas.

17. Pam Hornschu says:

Just visited your blog from Wendy Price’s “award” blog. I love your new studio. (Have to ask…is it always that neat and tidy?) I just redid mine as well in a similar style, slightly smaller. Still need to finish a couple of things. I bought most of my stuff at IKEA as well. Love your tilted jars for the ribbons, and the goldfish bowls for the buttons.

18. OMG you are de luckiest person that i know…such a nice studio and so organized…:-)

19. Love your studio! I found it through crafty storage web-site. Sure am glad I took a peek. Love the color and the floors are great too! Thanks for sharing.

20. Ciara says:

You have the nicest craft room I have ever seen! I saw your feature on Craft Storage and have really enjoyed looking at your photos. It’s all so bright, clean & fresh looking. It must be an absolute dream to craft in there, xx

21. cherrie says:

I like the way you store your punches. Your space is so light and bright. What an awesome space to get creative in….

22. Robyn C says:

Okay, that is absolutely stunning! I’m not typically a coveteous person, but I’m really loving (and secretly coveting) your room! LOL Love the fresh, clean look and would have a hard time ever leaving this space. My poor family would never eat, they’d never have clean laundry, yeah, it’s probably good that I don’t have a room just like yours. I’m really happy for you and hope you and your crafty heaven lots of fun, fabulous creatin’ time! Thanks so much for sharing! :c) Crafty Hugs, Robyn

23. Love what you’ve done here. I came over from Crafty Storage. I have just started moving my acrylic stamps into clear CD cases. i am wondering how you labeled them as i am having a bit of trouble betting the labels to stay on the thin, textured edges?

24. Jane says:

Fabulous, Fabulous
    Found you through Crafty Storage
    Added you to my Google Reader subscription
    Love your space love your work

25. Rebecca says:

Wow Beautiful! I hope some day when I move and have a extra room I can have something as beautiful as this! Great job! I bet it’s a joy to work in!

26. Cindy Lyles says:

So absolutely perfect Becky – so beautiful!!!!!!

27. Winter says:

Beautiful! We are remodeling some of our rooms in our house and I just painted my new laundry room Hawaiian Shores color, which is very close to yours! And I bought a old chandelier and painted it red for my laundry room too! I guess great minds think alike! :) I just got a new craft room too, but it’s not quite finished yet. Thanks for all the inspiration! :)

28. Barbara says:

LOVE!!!!

29. Wow, this is an amazing craft room you have! Gorgeous :)

30. Ann K says:

Only in my dreams could I imagine such a wonderful work space. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

31. Kathy Jackel says:

Your room is incredible! I know you will thoroughly enjoy every minute you spend in there………….it’s scrappin’ & stampin’ heaven!!! Beautiful colors and SO tidy!! Enjoy!

32. Nancy says:

dreamy :)

33. Cindy Major says:

What an incredibly gorgeous studio! It’s like you’ve reached into my head and recreated my idea of a perfect stamping room! I absolutely love white furniture and the pale blue walls.

34. It’s a stunning studio! Thanks for sharing it on The Blogstress Network.

There’s no better feeling than having a place where everything is in it’s place. I recently moved to an apt that has a pantry. I’m just in love with arranging things on my pantry shelves.

35. Karen B says:

I love your room – found it while getting out the “Pit Crew” blogs. To say I am jealous is an understatment. I am totally going to adopt some of your ideas for my current space. Right now it is a section of the bonus room over the garage – the rest of the room is part guest room and hubby’s office space. While, I confusicated the small walk in closet, and L shaped desk area made out of kitchen cabinets (2 base and 2 wall) I do not have enough work space (especially when I have to share it with the 7 yr old) and the lighting is terrible. The table you got from IKEA is perfect for the dormer area we have in the room and will work even better in my future room (can’t claim this space until our MD terrapin moves out permanetly 3-4 yrs from now.) Thanks for sharing, good luck to you, Lisa and the rest of the Pit Crew. Lisa is the bomb – I have taken several classes from her……

36. This is a beautifully planned work space!!!! L.O.V.E. every inch!! Great job!

37. That’s AMAZING! I wanna go live in there!

38. OMGosh ~ heaven — total and complete heaven!! Well done and stunning~ You enjoy your space!

39. Tina Mayo says:

totally love this…

40. Marcie Smith says:

What a beautiful room. Love the double dormer and a-frame of this room. What a wonderful place to create in. You have done a marvelous job and it is not only beautiful, but practical and so organized. I am sure you will gain many wonderful hours of crafting in such lovely surroundings.
    Marcie

41. Arabella says:

Becky this is just gorgeous and so super organised looking!

Arabella

42. I LOVE it! Thank you so much for all the good explanations! I am going for a similar look in my studio space. It’s getting close, I just need some enclosed storage for all the things UNDER my desk!

43. Nat says:

Love your studio!!! Beautiful!

Nat

44. Linda says:

I am completely impressed by your new studio and the amount of organization you have. I also love the chandelier as well as the colour of the walls. Just beautiful.